Vertical Chill - Ellis Brigham
Address: Ellis Brigham, Tower House, 3-11 Southampton St, London WC2E 7HA
Phone: 0844 372 1010
Nearest Tube: Covent Garden
London Climbing Guides opinion
A somewhat unique climbing centre when compared with the others in the list but without a doubt Vertical Chill should not be overlooked. The Vertical Chill Ice wall is based at the back of the Ellis Brigham Mountain sports store just of the strand in Covent Garden. The wall itself is housed within a refrigerated unit with viewing windows on various floors of the shop. The wall is 8m in height and ranges in steepness from a pleasant slab to a drastic over-hang with everything in between. The wall really is a fantastic addition to climbing in London and we would reccomend a visit both to Ellis Brigham and the Ice Wall.
Climbing at Vertical Chill
Vertical Chill opened in June 2003 and is situated inside Ellis Brigham's Tower House Covent Garden Store. The wall itself is located within a refrigerated unit starting in the basement and going through on the ground floor of the shop. The internal temperature ranges from -5°C to -7°C. The wall is 8m in height and ranges in steepness from a pleasant slab to a drastic over-hang with everything in between; providing a variety of routes to entertain novice and accomplished climbers alike.
The Wall gets booked up quickly so we advise you book as early as you can to secure a climb.
Learn to climb
- Costs £50 per person for an hour session. This includes hire of all equipment and a qualified instructor (one to one).
- Suitable for - Inexperienced ice climbers who haven't climbed steep ice before, or haven't in a long time.
Climb and Hire
- Costs £35 per person for one hour. This includes hire of all equipment and a qualified instructor to belay/supervise you.
- Suitable for - People who know the basics and want to practice, but don't have all the necessary gear
Turn up and climb
- Costs £25 per person for an hour. This includes a qualified instructor to belay/supervise you, but no equipment hire.
- Suitable for - If you have all the gear and some idea.
The best way to book a session is to contact the store directly by phone on 0207 395 1010 and speak with a member of staff.
Or email giving your name and a number along with times and dates which are convenient for you.
All sessions last one hour which includes approx 50 minutes on the wall and 10 for kitting up time.
Opening and Closing times:
Monday: Closed for maintenance
Tuesday: 12:30 - 18:30
Wednesday through Friday: 10:30 - 18:30
Thursday:10:30 - 19:30
Saturday: 10:00 - 18:00
Sunday: 12:00 - 17:00
If you book one of the options with kit hire included you will be provided with outer clothing, axes, crampons, harnesses, helmets, eye protection and gloves.
You can bring their own equipment if you wish. Crampons must be suitable for climbing and not walking. Boots must be B3 mountaineering boots. Both axes and crampons should be suitably sharp and may be refused if not. Clothing should be suitable for ice climbing in temperatures of -5°C.